Tuesday, December 05, 2006

What the heck is a bonenkai???




Much of the west celebrates this time of year with Christmas parties, or Year End Parties... well in Japan they have the Bonenkai. The Bonenkai is actually translated often as "forget the year party". Many people choose too. They do this by going out with their team, department, company (usually one party for each) and have a few drinks together an celebrate the end of the year. They do this with their friends, and some I imagine their families. But one thing is constant, is a celebration for the end of the year, and a copious amount of alcohol. At work we have a couple of these, one is already done for me, and only a couple more days left in Japan so not much to chance to have too many more. Which for me is not really a bad thing. Too much drinking will wear you down (I can hear Manjit calling me a blouse right as we speak).

Here are a few pictures from around Tokyo that I snapped with my camera phone. The Stormtropper at Meguro station was kind of cool.

4 Comments:

At 6:06 PM , Blogger Fraser Anderson said...

Why on earth is there a stormtrooper there?

 
At 9:11 PM , Blogger Mike P said...

Have no idea... can only assume that one of the bonenkais was a costume party.

 
At 10:16 PM , Blogger Fraser Anderson said...

I assumed he should be hunting down rebels.

Japan is Rebel free.

 
At 11:10 PM , Blogger Mike P said...

Japan is rebel free due to heroic efforts of stormtroopers like this one in Meguro. Suppor the stormtroopers.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home