Sunday, July 29, 2007

Around Lincoln

The next stop on our England tour was Lincoln. This was our longest part of the stay, mostly for the wedding. I was pretty surprised as when I told folks who lived in England that we were going to Lincoln they usually replied with a resounding... why? Or "ugh" kind of noise in the back of their throat. I have to say that I was pretty surprised and happy with the time that I spent there. Kiyomi and I were finally joined with our baggage there, and were able to relax... well after a bit of a shock that we didn't have a hotel room booked for the day we arrived. That was all smoothed out and as we found a hotel with a room basically right next to the main one called the castle. The castle also had a great view of the the Lincoln Cathedral.



The cathedral really dominates the Lincoln skyline. It is at the top of the hill, and is basically viewable from almost anywhere in the town. I've been around some pretty impressive Cathedrals in my travels around Europe, and have to say I think I may have liked the one in Lincoln best. The settings around it are well preserved and the fact that Lincoln is such a small town accentuates the size of the Cathedral.



Opposite from the Cathedral is Lincoln castle. Actually this dates back to the Romans... I don't think any of the structure does (but there are old roman roads and ruins that do dot the Lincoln landscape). The castle has some great views as you walk along its walls. Kiyomi and I were really blessed to have some good weather for this day out on our own, walking around and just chilling. I guess for me anything like this is just so different from Tokyo... even if you find something historical or interesting it is often crowded with thousands of other people with the same idea. In Lincoln though, Kiyomi and I found ourselves often to be the only folks in the area of the castle. Our own personal little walking tour!



The city itself has some really amazing little streets and buildings that have survived hundreds and hundreds of years. It is really an interesting little place, and I would say is worth a day or two. If you at all like historical sites and towns that is. If you are in your mid 20s I would guess that for some nights of the week Lincoln has a pretty surprising night life too, there were a lot of clubs and bars (and pubs) mostly due to the University I think.



If you want to learn more check out Wikipedia.
For a history of Lincoln check out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln%2C_Lincolnshire
For a history of the magna carta check out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magna_carta

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home